Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Ensete, or Abyssinian Banana

Few plants get me going more than this one.  Fargesia being about the only other one, actually.  That however, is a topic for a later post.  Seeing as how Ensete is up here first - I guess that makes it my favorite plant.  Ever.  Of all Time.  Just saying this means nothing though.  Here's why.


Part of my back yard.
We started growing this maroon colored Banana relative a couple of years back, and sales have subsequently gone through the roof.  People who have bought in have been made believers, and demand seems to be continually increasing.  Since I'm addicted to growing tropicals in a climate that isn't necessarily conducive (Connecticut) - the ones that really give the tropical effect in the short time I can give them are obvious standouts.  Ensete wins this race every time.


While typical to the common banana (Musa) in form- it far outstrips even the most vigorous cultivar in rate of growth.  I brought home both a massive 12" potted form that was 2 years  old, and a single 5" pot that had only been planted in the pot for about 2 months.  They were both planted in late May.  The 12" was already 4 ft plus in height when planted, the 5" was somewhere around 2 ft.  While the 12" was in the obvious lead for awhile - through July - the 5" pot caught up at around the 6 ft height range.  It then made it to 8 ft before the one that was 5 times it's size at planting.  This wasn't set up as an experiment, so I have no idea why this happened.  Regardless - the typical 5" pot that the consumer will pick up at the store for somewhere in the $10-15 range, formed a massive 8 ft plus tall purple banana tree by September.  That is insane value in my opinion.  This thing dwarfed nearly every other plant in my 6 year old landscape, and certainly was the main focal point in my entire yard. 


A severe thunderstorm managed to blow it over while we were away on vacation.  I got back to work and forgot to stake it back up.  This would prove to be the coolest thing I've seen with this plant yet - it stood itself back up within a week.  It went from somewhere near a 45 deg angle back to vertical in about 5 days...  I'm no botanist, but that was too cool, and really highlights the vigor on this colorful beast.


Forget fruit.  That's everyone's question with the bananas that we sell, and that's my response.  Sure, there are some that will get you something that tastes pretty horrid after several years of winter vacations in a cool basement, but who cares?  These are foliage plants.  Think of them as you would Coleus - but 8 ft tall.


One of my Ensete after a run in 
with my 10" Henckels Santoku.
I've got a situation that most plant geeks not already in the industry would kill for.  I can throw these things away every season and just get a new one next year. This has been my M.O. for some time, although I'm trying to get away from it.  Hence two massive purple Ensete stumps in my basement as I write this.  Getting them both out of the garden was a trip - as you'll find with any banana - the plant is full of water.  When you're tasked with removing a foot thick stump that's 36" tall and full of water - have fun!  I'd almost rather dig a tree up and move it...  They were super-heavy and awkward, but I ended up sliding them onto a snow sled and dragging them into the basement that way.  We'll see what happens next spring.  I want a 15 footer just to really freak out my kids.





3 comments:

  1. Good Job... I've been wondering when you were planning to expand to fame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this plant! I have had several from you guys over the last few years and loved them. I don't over winter either, but if I ever build a conservatory... Look out! Great post!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to look out! Saw one up at DS Cole this summer that they bring inside over the winter and it was pushing 13 ft or so... Looked a little beat up as well - I think chopping them down and putting them in the basement is good for two reasons. 1 - Aesthetic, those leaves get shredded after awhile. 2 - Cathartic, The best word I can think of to describe beheading one of those beasts with a good knife or machete...

    ReplyDelete